January 19, 2009

Organic Body Products


There are body products popping up on shelves everywhere labelled “organic”, claiming to be more beneficial for you than other products. Have you ever wondered if organic body products are worth the extra money? Well, truly organic body products are, but how can you make sure you get what you’re paying for?

Using organic materials for personal care products is better for your health. Modern day body products include hundreds of toxic chemicals. Since these ingredients aren’t ingested into directly the body, there is very little regulation on what can and cannot be used to make various skin, hair, mouth, and nail care products. Most nail polish contains known carcinogens. Some mouth washes have been linked to increased mouth and throat cancer. Chemicals in deodorant can increase your risk of Alzheimer’s. Other chemicals may cause asthma, ADHD, hormonal problems, and even decreased fertility. These are just a few examples of the many dangerous ingredients in the products you use on a daily basis.

You may want to throw out all your body products now and go out and buy organic… but keep reading before you do. Since producers can get away with upping prices just by putting “organic” on the label, there’s been some deception in the market. Producers will replace one ingredient with an organic counterpart and mark their product as organic even though it contains all the same dangerous additives. Others will be even more deceptive by using the chemical definition of organic. That means the “organic” ingredients they list simply contain carbon.

The first clue in looking for genuine organic body products is to search for products with a certification seal. Don’t stop there though. You need to know the standards for certification for each seal. For example, the USDA seal means is that the product is 70% certified organically grown materials. The other 30% can be most any other toxic or unnatural chemical.

To be sure you’re getting a 100% organically grown product, you have to turn it around and look at the ingredients list. You should be able to recognize most of the ingredients on the label. If there’s anything on the list you can’t pronounce, keep looking. Also be aware of ingredients labeled with the word natural; like “natural coloring” or “natural flavors”. These labels can be used to disguise harmful ingredients.

While it may require some searching, there are legitimate 100% organic body products our there that can do your body a world of good. They may just require a little extra looking and a bit more money. Some sources of organic personal care products include NaturalGrocer and EarthMamaAngelBaby.

Creative Commons License photo credit: Pink Sherbet Photography

If you liked this post, submit your email address below to get new posts by email:

Disclaimer: This website is not a substitute for consultation with your health care giver. You should not use any of the exercises or treatments mentioned in this website, without clearance from your physician or health care provider.

Disclosure: When I mention products, you must assume I will receive compensation for doing so. However, I only recommend products and services I myself use or believe in and would recommend to my own sisters and mother. Nevertheless, you should perform your own due diligence before purchasing a product or service mentioned in this website.
Spread the love - share this on social!


Comments are closed